Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th!


Blueberry Picking!


After the girls and I returned from our Spokane trip it was time for blueberry season. I must say that this year the strawberries were much easier to pick then the blueberries. The weather was nice, not too hot but a late frost and lack of rain really made a difference in the size and number of berries this year. Last year I was able to pick 4 gallons of berries in 2 hours, this year only 1 in the same amount of time. Both girls were not very good at helping out and Natalya actually cried most of the time. It definitely was not a fun adventure, but I got my blueberries and have enjoyed them. We made blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup and fresh fruit salads, but my favorite is just eating a big handful of fresh blueberries right out of the fridge.


Smithfield Plantation


We were able to celebrate the fourth all day long. After church we headed to Smithfieldplantation were we walked around and viewed the grounds and gardens, watched a musket firing demonstration, played with old fashioned toys and watched period style dancing. After the dance program they came into the audience and asked for volunteers to come learn a dance. I got asked and so learned to dance the old fashion way. It was fun but very hot and my partner's hands were very sweaty and he was a little creepy.


4th of July Parade!

Sitting in the shade waiting for the parade to start.


Watching the parade in the shadow of the tree.


Next we came home had lunch and took a rest before heading off to the little town parade. The parade was much better than last year and the girls got lots of candy, but I could have done with out the heat. We all huddled under a little tree on the side of the road to try to keep cool.
After coming home from the parade and devouring the candy and other treats we had around the house no one felt much like eating dinner, so we headed outside for fireworks. Raquel went all by herself to invite our neighbors to come watch. Both Natalya and Raquel had lots of fun lighting and watching our little firework display. I thought Natalya would be scared of them but she was right in there wanting to light the fireworks and hold her own sparkler.

Fireworks!
Natalya holding the matches ready to light another one.


Sparkler fun!


Raquel and her friend Ann out neighbor



I love Natalya's face!


We ended up having our yummy baby back ribs, corn on the cob, asparagus and watermelon 4th of July dinner the next day. Well worth the wait! Mmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment