Unfortunately things don't always go as planned especially when a baby is involved. We thought we were pretty safe sending Mike off to Idaho 2 weeks prior to my due date since at my last doctors visit I hadn't progressed any and I hadn't had any contractions. So off Mike went to Idaho Friday Sept 3rd. He arrived safely and had a nice visit with his parents and grandparents. That night I went to bed late and was woken up at 1am by contractions. They were painful enough to keep me up until 4am and then they went away. I laid awake the rest of the night worried that I wasn't ready to have the baby because Mike was gone, the house needed to be cleaned and bags needed to be packed for the hospital. I was relieved when the contractions stop and first thing Sat. morning got up and packed my hospital bag, cleaned the house and called Mike to let him know that I was having contractions.
Mike wanted to change his flight to come home earlier because he thought the baby would soon be here. I thought we had more time and told him I'd look into it but we didn't need to worry too much because the contractions were less frequent and not too painful. He had a fun day on the lake with his family and I busied myself with preparing just in case. My neighbor Ann that I was going to have watch our kids when I had the baby was gone for the day and wouldn't be back until Sunday evening and so I headed next door to my other neighbor Kathy to let her know that it was highly unlikely that I would have the baby today/tonight but just in case I wanted to let her know that I had been having contractions and set up a plan for the girls in case I did need to go to the hospital. I took it easy the rest of the day hoping that I wouldn't further along the delivery of our baby and changed Mike's flight arrangements to the earliest flight which wasn't until 7am Sunday morning.
The girls and I went to bed, not expecting anything but a nice restful night. At 11:45pm I was woken up by a strong contraction. I got up out of bed to walk it off and then my water broke. I quickly called Mike, no answer. Then I called my neighbor Kathy, I had just received a texted message from her asking how I was doing and so I knew she was probably still awake. Our plan for the girls was put into motion, the girls stayed at Kathy's house with her son and daughter which both my girls adore so it made it easy to leave them there and Kathy drove me to the hospital.
We arrived at the hospital a little before 1 am, got checked in and then we waited. The doctor on call was not the doctor that I had see through out my pregnancy but she is the other one in the practice that I like and so I just went ahead and had her start the process of delivering our baby. It took a while for all the blood work to come back and for the anesthesiologist to give me an epidural but after the drugs started working it was a piece of cake. I was dilated to a 4 when I came in and over the next 4 hours progressed quickly, the only worry was that the baby's heart rate kept dipping quite low and needed to be monitored with an internal probe. Luckily his heart rate stayed steady enough to not have to take him out by c-section. Once I was fully dilated it only took 3 more contractions to push through and our little boy was out. Born at 6:25am on Sunday September 5th and he weighed 6 lbs. 5.8 oz (the biggest of the 3 kids) and was 20 1/4 inches long. He has long legs and big feet and the most laid back personality. He sleeps great during the day and can sleep well at night if he is sleeping on my tummy.
My neighbor Kathy was able to be there at the hospital with me and she took all the pictures of our new little boy. Mike's plane arrived at 5:30pm Sunday night and soon made it back home, picking up the girls and then coming to the hospital to meet our new little boy. So Mike was able to see our little boy the same day he was born only 12 hours later. The girls were so excited to come and meet their new little brother. Natalya came in asking were the baby was and wanting to hold him, getting upset when Raquel got to hold him. I was so happy to see that the girls loved their little brother, especially Natalya who was such a mamma's girl. Natalya had been a great big sister. She wants to help change his diaper and is always there watching ready to hand me the diaper. The other day she even gave her little brother her most prized blanket because he was crying. She really has grown up these past few days and taken on the roll of a loving big sister. Its great that both the girls want to help out with the baby so much.
The baby and I were able to come home from the hospital early Monday afternoon. We still don't have a name for the poor kid and so thats why the name of the post is my name is nobody. We have a couple of names we like but its just agreeing on which name to use. The hospital didn't want us to leave with out naming him and kept calling when we got home trying to get us to come up with a name. He may just have to be called baby brother for awhile before we decide. We sure to love our little guy and are happy he arrived safe and healthy even if it was 2 weeks early.
Waiting for the doctor and my epidural.
Must have been between contractions because I'm smiling.
Little Baby Brother
Born September 5, 2010
at 6:25 am
He was such a content little guy.
Didn't even cry. He was very content laying on my stomach.
Mommy & Baby brother
Baby brother was the biggest of our 3 kids.
Proud Big Sisters!
Raquel & Little Brother
Mike seeing his little boy for the first time.
Natalya was so happy to hold her little brother. She got a little scared when he started to move. She must have thought he was a little doll.
Home from the hospital
2 Days old
Trying to capture a smile.
4 days old.




Congratulations!! He is a beautiful baby! I am so happy for you guys. I love the name. It fits him. ;) I'm so sorry things were so hectic! I can't imagine. Sure am proud of you guys. Give your kids a squeeze for me!
ReplyDeleteLove you!
Nan
Can I tell you how much I want to hold him? haha. :) I hope you're feeling better each day.
Andrea & Michael! He is so precious!! What a cutie! Glad you survived! What an ordeal! Glad you are all together now! He is beautiful! Thanks for doing your blog!! I LOVE IT!!
ReplyDeleteJod