Sunday, December 5, 2010

Williamsburg

Mike was able to go to another medical conference in Williamsburg this weekend and so as always we turned it into a little family vacation. The kids all did really well on the car trip over. It helped that they each had one of our iPhones to play games and watch movies on the whole way.
Natalya watching a movie on the iPhone.

We always try to get a hotel with a heated indoor pool so that the kids can swim. After arriving in Williamsburg the first thing that we did was take the kids swimming. This was Marcus' first time swimming and it seemed like he really enjoyed it.
After swimming Mike had to head off to his conference and so the kids and I ordered pizza and watched movies the rest of the night before they fell asleep.
Getting ready for his first swim!


Having fun with Dad!



Enjoying the water!



After a wonderful breakfast the next morning (If you haven't stayed at a Hampton Inn, I highly recommend it) we took Mike to his conference and the kids and I headed to the Virginia Living Museum in Newport News. Last time we came to Williamsburg we came to this museum and really enjoyed it. We knew we wanted to come back and how could we turn down a free visit (free since I got the family pass from the Science Museum in Roanoke).
It was a little cold but the girls still wanted to see all the animals outside. Natalya really was too young to really explore the last time we were here and so it was fun to see her really enjoy everything this time.
Checking out the binoculars.


Trying to stay warm while visiting all the animals outside.

My cute 2 headed turtle.

Saturday we dropped Mike off for his conference, he actually had to walk the last few blocks because there was so much traffic. The kids and I went back to the hotel to get ready for the day and then headed to Colonial Williamsburg. They were having a Christmas Parade and we wanted to go watch. Mike skipped out on one of his lectures at his conference and came to join us at the parade. The kids had fun seeing all the marching bands, animals and floats but it was so cold that we were all freezing by the end.


Mike went back to his conference and the kids and I headed to a street fair in Yorktown. It was still very cold but the kids got to see Santa, play some old fashion games and make a pomander out of a lemon and cloves.

Showing off their pomanders

After a fun day in the cold we picked up dad from his conference and headed for dinner. After dinner we returned again to Yorktown to watch a lighted boat parade. We stood by a huge bonfire in the sand to keep warm and waited for the boats but everyone got to cold and sleepy before the parade started so we left and went back to our nice warm hotel to enjoy the rest of the evening.
Sunday was Mike's last day of his conference. It was a half day, so we picked him up and ate lunch and headed home to Blacksburg.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun mini vacation! I can't believe how much you guys can cram into one weekend...especially with kids. It looked like a lot of fun. I bet the iphones are a nice necessity in the car. :) Andrea, you look so pretty! I wish I looked as good as you do in the swimming pool. Heck, while we're at it, I wish I looked as cute as that two headed turtle. haha.

    ReplyDelete